Danielle Spires' images cast off an intentionally conflicting tenor of beauty and unease, and are underpinned by divergent influences that range from the challenging work of Diane Arbus, to the alluring pin-up illustrations of Vargas. Danielle shoots with a balance of naiveté and power, leaving the model in control and empowered.
She photographs models like a man without the male gaze, and found her niche as an unapologetic feminist photographer. Danielle's art is influenced by anything and everything; women, feminism, baroque painters such as Caravaggio, music, vintage magazines, classic literature, cinematography, past memories, hospitalizations, and whatever she's currently experiencing in life.
Danielle has been shooting since 1997, and currently holds an AA in Photography and a BA in Sociology. Danielle’s photographs have been featured in numerous galleries and publications, and she was recently interviewed by the LA Times with a showcase of her ‘Awkward Couples’ series, which you can read here: LA Times reFramed Interview
Danielle currently resides in LA with her partner, their black lab and two cats. She previously worked in the Sony Pictures Entertainment photo department before moving to AMDA Performing Arts Conservatory in Hollywood to be their photo editor, photo producer and digital asset manager. Danielle also works as a mentor with the Las Fotos Project to help teach young girls from East Los Angeles about photography.
Published Works and Interviews
- Noisey, 2017, "Wax Idols's New Video for "Deborah" Is a Riot of Purple Light"
- She/Folk, 2017, "Now is the Time for Self-Care and Community Care"
- Art by Nature Magazine, 2016, "Getting in Touch with Nature with Danielle Spires"
- MTV News 2016: Wax Idols Imagine Life After Death
- LA Voyage Magazine 2016: Meet Los Feliz Photographer Danielle Spires
- Inkspired Magazine - Issue 43- Frank Zummo 2016
- LA Times Interview
- Art by Nature Magazine, 2015, "Cat Gangs"
- SHE/FOLK - "This is Not Art" - 2015
- Liner Magazine - Volume V - 2015
- Liner Magazine - 'Women in Charge' Issue 2014
- Entityy Magazine - 2014
- Wilde Magazine -Erotica Issue 2014
- LA Weekly - 2014
- Noisey - Vice Mag 2014
- Women's Wear Daily - 2014
- Juxtapoz Magazine-AJ Fosik article October 2007
- Dining Out Magazine
- Copper Nickel
- Eye Candy Magazine
- Denver Westword
- Denver Syntax Interview
- Edifice Wrecked
- Ruby Mag
Gallery Shows and Installations
- “Custom Toy Show”, Plastic Chapel and The Shoppe, Denver, CO - March 2008
- “Glorification”, Indy Ink/Plastic Chapel/Fabric Lab, Denver, CO - July 2007
- "Show Me the Munny!", Capsule Gallery, Denver, CO - June 2006
- “Oui, Je Suis Seul”, Plastic Chapel, Denver, CO - October 2006
- “Catechisms”, Revoluciones, Denver, CO - January 2006
- “Scars and Bars”, Mod Livin', Denver, CO - December 2005
- “Dia de los Muertos Celebration”, Revoluciones- Denver, CO - November 2004
- “Live Nude Girls Peep Show II”, Sputnik- Denver, CO - August 2004
- Art on permanent display, The Cherry Pit- Denver, CO - July 2004
- “Live Nude Girls Peep Show”, Mutiny Now Gallery, Denver, CO - June 2004
- "The Collection" Dazzle Supper Club, Denver, CO - April 2004
- Northern National Art Competition, Rhinelander, Wisconsin - 2003
- “U Pop: Denver’s Best Underground Artists”, Urban Renewal, Denver, CO - 2003
- “Whip It”, Rock Island- Denver, CO - 2002