Danielle Spires is a Los Angeles-based artist who specializes in photography and alternative printing practices. Spires draws inspiration from the concept of suffering as it relates to day-to-day life, as well as her deeply feminist roots. Integral to her own formation as an artist, each photograph embodies life with a severe chronic illness and the struggle with bodily autonomy as a patient and a woman. Spires’ fascination with how lifelong hospitalizations shape how we see ourselves can be seen in both the subject matter and writing behind her pieces.
Danielle Spires has been shooting since 1997, and currently holds an AA in Photography and a BA in Sociology. Spires’ photographs have been featured in numerous galleries and publications, and she was interviewed by the LA Times with a showcase of her ‘Awkward Couples’ series, which you can read here: LA Times reFramed Interview
Spires currently resides in LA with her partner and their beloved cat. She previously worked in the Sony Pictures Entertainment Photo Department before moving to AMDA Performing Arts Conservatory in Hollywood taking a position as a photo editor, photo producer and digital asset manager. Spires started a pet photography business in her DTLA studio in May of 2018, and also works as a mentor with the Las Fotos Project to help teach young girls from East Los Angeles about photography.
Fill out the form below or email me at email@example.com for commercial, editorial or fine art shows.
Published Works, Gallery Shows & Interviews
- Hive Gallery, March 2018, "Analog vs Digital" group show
- LA County Store Presents: Slaughterhaus, Feb. 24th- Mar. 16th, 2018: Lenticular Photo Show by Danielle Spires
- Photofoto Magazine, November 2017, "Exclusive: 'All of My Life' by Danielle Spires"
- Flaunt Magazine, July 2017, "The Beginners' 'What We Are' Video Paints All Over What You Thought of the Female Anatomy"
- Noisey, 2017, "Wax Idols's New Video for "Deborah" Is a Riot of Purple Light"
- She/Folk, 2017, "Now is the Time for Self-Care and Community Care"
- Art by Nature Magazine, 2016, "Getting in Touch with Nature with Danielle Spires"
- MTV News 2016: Wax Idols Imagine Life After Death
- LA Voyage Magazine 2016: Meet Los Feliz Photographer Danielle Spires
- Inkspired Magazine - Issue 43- Frank Zummo 2016
- LA Times Interview
- Art by Nature Magazine, 2015, "Cat Gangs"
- SHE/FOLK - "This is Not Art" - 2015
- Liner Magazine - Volume V - 2015
- Liner Magazine - 'Women in Charge' Issue 2014
- Entityy Magazine - 2014
- Wilde Magazine -Erotica Issue 2014
- LA Weekly - 2014
- Noisey - Vice Mag 2014
- Women's Wear Daily - 2014
- “Custom Toy Show”, Plastic Chapel and The Shoppe, Denver, CO - March 2008
- Juxtapoz Magazine-AJ Fosik article October 2007
- “Glorification”, Indy Ink/Plastic Chapel/Fabric Lab, Denver, CO - July 2007
- "Show Me the Munny!", Capsule Gallery, Denver, CO - June 2006
- “Oui, Je Suis Seul”, Solo Show, Plastic Chapel, Denver, CO - October 2006
- “Catechisms”, Revoluciones, Denver, CO - January 2006
- “Scars and Bars”, Mod Livin', Denver, CO - December 2005
- “Dia de los Muertos Celebration”, Revoluciones- Denver, CO - November 2004
- “Live Nude Girls Peep Show II”, Sputnik- Denver, CO - August 2004
- “Live Nude Girls Peep Show”, Mutiny Now Gallery, Denver, CO - June 2004
- Northern National Art Competition, Rhinelander, Wisconsin - 2003
- “U Pop: Denver’s Best Underground Artists”, Urban Renewal, Denver, CO - 2003
- “Whip It”, Rock Island- Denver, CO - 2002
- Dining Out Magazine
- Copper Nickel
- Eye Candy Magazine
- Denver Westword
- Denver Syntax Interview